Cannabis-Infused Kombucha: An Ultimate Drink for Tea Lovers
If you are a true tea lover, you may be convinced that there is nothing that can make a cup of tea better. But we have an idea: try adding some cannabis to your tea. Sounds like an ultimate combination, right?
It gets even better if you brew cannabis-infused kombucha. Kombucha is a fermented, sweetened tea-based drink. It is claimed to have wellness benefits due to a high concentration of probiotics and enzymes. Add all the benefits of cannabis to it, and you will get one of the most fantastic drinks on the planet.
A key to making a perfect cannabis-infused kombucha is to use a high-quality symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast, organic cane sugar, and a cannabis-infused tea. Keep in mind that many cannabis teas on the market contain cannabis oil, and you may want to avoid oils or honey in your brew. Otherwise, your kombucha will not be so good. Here’s how to make a proper brew that will last a couple of weeks.
How To Make Cannabis-Infused Kombucha
Time: 1-2 weeks
Yields: 10 servings
Approximate dosage: 10 mg per cup
What you need:
- Ten cannabis-infused tea packets (avoid teas that contain oils)
- One cup organic cane sugar
- High-quality symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast
- One cup liquid from pre-made kombucha
- One gallon purified water
- One quart juice of choice (optional)
- 2-4 large jars (sterilized)
- Fermentation cover for each jar
What you need to do:
- Start by brewing tea. Boil a gallon of purified water and add cane sugar. Stir until dissolved. Add ten cannabis tea bags to the hot water. Let it brew.
- Cool tea mixture to room temperature. Don’t rush the process. Otherwise, the heat could kill the yeast. When is cool, pour it in the jars. Make sure you leave a couple of inches at the top.
- Pour in ½ cup of pre-made unflavoured kombucha.
- Wash your hands. Add the SCOBY to the jar.
- Cover the jars tightly with the fermentation covers to keep them clean and sterile. Put the jars in a warm section of your kitchen. The brew should be stored at about 75–85˚F.
- Let it ferment for 7-10 days. To test whether the kombucha is ready, open the lid and place a straw into the brew. Cap the end with a finger and pull it out. Try the drink at the end of the straw. A ready-to-use kombucha will have semi-sweet flavor.
If you want to go even further, consider an optional second fermentation.
- Sterilize two additional jars. Pour in juice and the fermented cannabis kombucha into the jar. Leave an inch from the top. Add berries, lemon, fruit (up to your choice).
- Leave a ½ cup of the fermented kombucha in the original jar with the yeast. Use it to start a new batch. Use the same directions.
- Cover the jar with a tight-fitting lid and let it sit at room temperature for 7-10 days.
Keep in mind that the amount of cannabis tea is a suggestion; the actual amount depends on the potency you desire. Start low and go slow; listen to your body and never drive under the influence of cannabis.
This post is based on this material.
(Sweedsy in no way encourages illegal activity and would like to remind its readers that marijuana usage continues to be an offense under Federal Law, regardless of state marijuana laws. To learn more, click here.)